The Families Group at the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association – Newfoundland and Labrador (CHHA-NL) is a place for you to connect to other families of children with hearing loss.
The name reflects the goals of the group – parents/guardians, children with hearing loss and siblings all have a chance to get to know one another through social events and learning opportunities (such as guest speakers) and can share knowledge and experiences.
Activities and Social Events
- Join in and attend the annual family summer camp for hard of hearing children, siblings and parents/guardians.
- Regular Families Group socials are held throughout the year, including a Halloween party and Holiday party. Be sure you are connected to the group for upcoming events – join the e-mail list and the Facebook group.
Resources for Families
- Parents of children with hearing loss may be interested in reading the Additional Resources page.
- A variety of individual services for families through the Assistive Technology Loans program and through personalized Information Services.
- Learn about funding for hearing accessible technology through the Hear & Achieve Inclusion Grant.
- Alert and Aware: Hearing Accessible Fire Alert Program.
Families with older children with hearing loss may be interested in:
- The CHHA-NL Youth Facebook page for youth ages 13-18.
- LEAP! Youth Leadership Program for ages 13-18.
- CHHA-NL’s Annual Scholarships for high school and post-secondary students with hearing loss.
Stay Connected to the Families Group
We are here to help. If you are a parent of a child newly diagnosed with hearing loss, please connect with us and the families resource group.
If you have questions about technology, educational resources and supports, extra-curricular activities, supporting your child, gaining a better understanding of your child’s hearing loss, and more, you’ve come to the right place. We can help you learn, navigate and connect with other families who may have similar experiences.