A new school year is fast approaching us, children and their families and clueing up last minute vacations and enjoying what we have left of our summer weather as they start to get ready for the new school year.
To help parents and children with hearing loss prepare for the new school year, we would like to share some helpful resources that will help make sure your child’s hearing loss needs are met in the classroom and in extra-curricular activities.
Below is a list of helpful handouts, recorded webinars, and website links that provide information about school aged children with hearing loss.
These handouts created with the help of families who have a child with hearing loss and are a great tool not only for parents, but also for teachers, coaches and other people in the lives of children with hearing loss.
- “Hear” from the Start: This handout is designed to help support children with hearing loss as they enter their first year of school.
Click HERE for Downloadable PDF
- Advocacy Toolkit: This handout is designed to help parents teach their child valuable self-advocacy skills, to foster independence, build confidence and ensure their needs are met. Click HERE for Downloadable PDF.
- Supporting Children and Youth Who Are Deaf and Hard of Hearing in Newfoundland and Labrador: This is a brochure provided by the NL school district explaining educational services within the school system for hard of hearing children. Click HERE for a Downloadable PDF.
- Extracurricular Activities and Hearing loss: This handout provides of overview of various extracurricular activities and what can be done to make them hearing accessible for children with hearing loss. Click HERE for a Downloadable PDF.
- Finding Support for Your Child with Hearing Loss and Building Their Team: This handout was created to help connect families and children with hearing loss to their community and the people who can help support their unique needs related to hearing loss. Click HERE for a Downloadable PDF.
- Tips for Teachers of Hard of Hearing Students: This handout is an excellent resource to provide to your child’s teacher to educate them on simple strategies they can use to make their classroom hearing accessible. Click HERE for a Downloadable PDF.
Here is a listing of CHHA-NL webpages full of information, programs and resources for children with hearing loss.
- For Children and Youth: this webpage contains a listing of programs for children, pre-recorded webinars related to children and ways to get involved with CHHA-NL
- CHHA-NL Families Resource Group: This page explains our Families resource group and how it can help you family.
- Preparing for Post Secondary: This webpage provides an excellent overview of post-secondary preparation for high school student with hearing loss.
- ARC Achievement Program: This pages explains a new programs for high school students with hearing loss that is free to attend and available provincially.
- Scholarships: CHHA-NL provides many scholarships for students with hearing loss. Our Susan Brown Entrance Scholarship is for High School students who are graduating and will be entering their first year of post-secondary studies.
- Borrow Hearing Technology: The webpage explains CHHA-NL’s most popular program where you can borrow Hearing Assistive devices such as shake awake alarm clocks to find a suitable device before making a purchase.